PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question about training in the UK with an ICAO PPL(A)
Old 6th Jul 2018, 10:13
rudestuff

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
You can validate your PPL. This is much easier from an FAA licence, and it is valid forever. I suggest you do the paperwork conversion to get the FAA certificate as well. (It’s just a medical and a 20 question exam, no flying)

If it is your intention to go all the way, let me save you about £20k right now - get as much flying over there as you can, it’s half the price. Also, get an IR. If you play your cards right, you can convert it a lot cheaper than a full course back home. *Always* do your EASA CPL Last - start the course with 185 hours. If you do your CPL first which requires 200 hours, then get your IR, you’ll go massively over budget. Simulators are great, but you’ll be paying for hour building anyway, so you might as well do as much IR training during that phase as you can, it’s virtually free (just the instructor)
Whatever you do, don’t just get a PPL then rent a plane and fly it around for 100+ hours padding your logbook, that’s time wasting, not time building. You’re about to embark on the greatest, most expensive adventure of your life, so plan it wisely. I flew around in circles and wasted money when I could have got an IR, a float plane rating, tail wheel etc. learn from my mistake.