PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS 350: "Hold my beer son and watch this!"
Old 6th Jul 2018, 06:33
[email protected]

Received 622 Likes on 270 Posts
Come on Shy - are you really telling me in all your time on Pumas, you never used a wingover arrival to insert or extract troops where it wasn't really necessary?

The unfortunate fact is that every man and his dog has a camera on their phone nowadays so things that previously went unadvertised now appear on social media in seconds.

Nigel has admitted that he has been taught and flown such manoeuvres so there is an element of double standards here.

I am not defending the pilot in question in his choice of time and place for his wingover but the thread started about servo transparency (which it clearly wasn't) and has turned into a Spanish Inquisition for anyone who dares to fly other than straight and level.

In terms of danger to the aircraft in the video - what exact danger was there? The fact that it was filmed from a cliff ignores the acres of fresh air he was actually flying in and the final approach to the cliff would have been almost identical had he started 3 miles out in a constant angle approach.

Knowing your aircraft and how it (and you) behaves in more advanced handling conditions might make the difference when you get caught out by weather, wires or another aircraft - handling skills are taught in the military for good reasons.