PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guimbal Cabri G2
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2018, 14:38
aa777888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hot and Hi
I learnt to fly helicopter in an Enstrom 280. I took that decision because during a trial lesson the Enstrom instructor demonstrated an autorotation to the ground and rammed it onto the tarmac, no issue. The R22 trial lesson instructor categorically refused to demonstrate autos to the ground.
Sadly, that is an issue with the Robinsons. I had a couple of similar experiences. When I started doing auto's as part of my training, I asked my instructor when we would start doing full-downs. He got this pained expression on his face and said "Never, not until you get to CFI training". For those outside the US who might not know, in the US they have come to the conclusion that, when it comes to demonstrating full-downs in the Robinson at either the private or commercial checkride levels, "the juice is just not worth the squeeze". I.e. they were losing a lot more people and ships doing full-downs in training than they were by not practicing that skill for real life events. Coupled with that was the issue that many Designated Pilot Examiners (DPEs) were not sufficiently current at the CFI level in Robinsons to save it if a student cocked it up on a checkride. So no full-downs in training or checkrides in Robinsons until the CFI level (although I'm sure there are some schools that are exceptions to that general rule).

Which brings me to my other experience in this regard. On my second auto ever in a G2, while entering the flare the instructor said "Land it". I was thrilled and horrified for a second but flew gamely on, only to wind up flabbergasted at what a non-event it was. Hover auto's in an R22 were more difficult. But the the critical take-away from this is not what you might immediately think. I suspect a lot of people might quickly say, "Damn, I should definitely choose the G2 to train in." But if your plan is to own, fly or work in Robinsons, of what value are those easy-peasy G2 full-downs? Damn near zero. I.e. train in what you plan to own, fly or work in. If that's Robinsons, use Robinsons. If that is Airbus/Eurocopter products with a fenestron, then use a G2. If it's a Bell or MD or whatever with a regular tail rotor, a Schweizer, probably.

Of course it's still nearly a moot point in the US, where almost every civilian realistically only has access to Robinsons for training.