PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 50 years ago: GE roars back into the airline industry
Old 5th Jul 2018, 03:04
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
The surprising thing about the Aero engine market is not how GE did so well, as much as how Pratts lost it.
Pratt arrogance played a big part in their loss of market share - their customer support really suffered in the late 1970s and early 80's (coincidentally corresponding with when my propulsion career started). Pratt used the JT8D as a cash cow to finance the JT9D - shortly after I started work, one of the old timers showed me a plot of the cost of spares for the JT8D - there was a noticeable jump in the cost of JT8D spares every time they launched a derivative of the JT9D. It got so bad that I recall Pratt buying big ads in Av Week in the mid 1980s after they lost several big campaigns to GE for traditional Pratt operators. The ad was basically a mi culpa - accepting that Pratt had screwed up their customer service and vowing to do better. However for the most part, it was too little, too late - the damage was already done.
While the CF6 was certainly important to GE's future, it was the CFM56 that made GE the dominate force it became - it basically killed the JT8D, and it's massive numbers provided the funds for GE to develop the GE90 and GEnx. It got so bad for Pratt that they actually became a PMA supplier of CFM turbine blades.
Having spent considerable time working with Pratt, Rolls, and GE, GE can be a major pain to work with as a supplier - much more so than Rolls (it's been said both GE and Rolls will tell you to F-off, but Rolls somehow makes it sound polite ). But, when they have a serious problem, no one does a better 'all hands on deck' response to the problem than GE.