PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Drone Collision with helicopter = tail rotor failure
Old 5th Jul 2018, 00:50
JerryG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK TC, so what technology is out there that can improve this situation? From all I read we are very close to being able to interrogate a drone from the ground in order to know everything about it (after all, it's already transmitting that to its operator) so it's surely not that hard, or expensive, to include such interrogation into the helicopter cockpit?

Originally Posted by [/color
In addition looking for another aircaft in your proximity is hard enough when you are conducting close in collaborative filming with ground units...never mind trying to watch for a speck on the windscreen called a drone.

Tell me about it! I've spent half my flying life below 500'. See and avoid is always going to be the prime sensor but in any specific set of circumstances I'm certain we can devise a culture of mutual information.

The drone operator however (who must retain line of site And remain outwith 150m of vehicles, vessels, persons, structures unless exempted also - has two senses working for him: visual and sound. He may not be able to see the chopper but he can hear the damn thing!

That's a good point about the sound TC and entirely valid since they should also have a "spotter", but don't expect VLOS to be a restriction for ever - it's already beginning to be permitted in limited circumstances.

QED the onus is almost entirely that of the drone operator to avoid the other aerial platform.
I think that comes under the heading of "grandfather rights" - which isn't going to lead to a robust solution for the future.