PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS 350: "Hold my beer son and watch this!"
Old 4th Jul 2018, 22:29
AAKEE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Some people on very high horses here, happy to criticise the pilot in the video despite not knowing who he is, his level of skill, his training, the aircraft configuration or pretty much anything.

Also on the high horses are those that claim they have never done anything the infringes any rules or regulations pertaining to flying, never lifted off too heavy, never flown too fast, never dealt with an emergenmcy the way it suited them rather than following the RFM, oversped the rotor. etc etc
Followed the thread but didn't actually have anything to say before.

@crab: I'm with you for your statements so far.

Its seems like a civil helo probably making that manouver illegal but it wouldn't need to be unsafe in the right helo. From what I can see it looks like it was flown ok.
I wasn't trained on the AS350 and the servo transparency thing doesn't sound that nice in my ears( even for "normal" flying, because we have seen some accidents coming from that corner). I'm sure that if you are correctly trained to fly the AS350 you would be thought how to stay away from the limiting factors for the servo transparency thing. Just like the Bo105 and steep right turns at low speed.
I guess that a civil pilot cannot get to that corner of the envelope without braking the law several times, an he probably need to try-and-learn. That part would make it dangerous, not really knowing when trying. But if it was a pilot trained to fly close to the corners of the helo envelope and a lot of experience from this, I wouldn't se that manouver as unsafe at all.

I think we need to be able to understand the difference between 'illegal' and 'unsafe'. As per the civil definition, the manouver is unsafe. Its illegal, thereby no one can be properly trained to perform it safe. In the military world, manouvers close to this could be performed because it would be more dangerous not to. The military authority allowing the manouver knows if could be dangerous and therefore does what is possible to minimize the risk connected to that manouver. The trained pilot could safely (and illegally) perform the manouver.

The 60 degree bank or 30 attitude doesn't make the limits for all aircrafts safety envelope. An Extra-aircraft-rated fixed wing pilot without aerobatic training is limited to 60 degrees AOB/ 30 nose up/down but only because he/she isn't trained for anything else.