PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - July 1, 2018. Airbus now owns a 50.01% majority stake in C Series Aircraft Limited
Old 4th Jul 2018, 17:48
msbbarratt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by etudiant
According to Wirtschaftswoche, the German FT equivalent, the purchase also includes $925MM government launch aid, $225MM 2018 launch cost recovery and a further $700MM prospective aid for future sales.
Airbus clearly drove a very hard bargain. I'm stunned that neither Boeing nor the Chinese were willing to at least keep Airbus honest.
I don't know about it being a hard bargain for BBD to swallow. They're getting 49.9% of what could easily be a massive production run, without having to scale up the production line themselves. If it works out they're in a good place.

Various reports of what the fbw tech is like suggests that it's very good indeed, so we could see future Airbus products adopting it.

I suspect Boeing saw it as something to buy and kill, rather than an opportunity. China would have liked to own the tech and design but were likely not making the right noises. Reportedly the Bombardier family shareholding still has some sway over the company, and the combination of Boeing's attempted trade war against Bombardier and a then-secret overture of the right sort ("we like tha plane and we want to help you make thousands of them") from Airbus is probably what made the deal stick.