PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Delta 777 9 abreast
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2018, 13:16
WHBM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I was recently in Premium Economy on Cathay Pacific, 8-across, and that was still feeling constricted. Not as bad (or as noisy) as those further back, but really makes you feel we are already at the bottom.

Footroom already half gone due to the IFE box for the seat unit ahead getting there first, and having the tray table come out from a housing between seats rather than a drop-down from the seatback ahead knocks another inch off actual seat width.

Interesting, I never knew that. How well did it fare 'in the day' rather than when compared with more modern aircraft out of interest ?
777 was initially contemporary with the A330/340, which if you did two sectors, first the 777 and then the Airbus, made it very evident just how quiet the Toulouse product was. I recall there was actually Airbus advertising in the 1990s on this very point.

I've pondered before just why the 777 is so noisy, especially aft of the wing. Engine noise or air conditioning ? Are the engines set further inboard than the A330 ? If it's lesser insulation, moves on the 777X to reduce this further are lamentable.