PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS 350: "Hold my beer son and watch this!"
Old 4th Jul 2018, 12:27
Rotorbee

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
@Crab: We all know, what you have done as a pilot. Quite impressive certainly, (that last sentence in that other post wasn't meant to you BTW).
If you have done it legally, why do you give the impression of sanctioning the presumably not so legal way of doing things?
Outraged? Me? Just because there is another hot shot pilot who will eventually kill somebody? If he kills himself, I don't care. But he will probably transport people in a ship that was used beyond it's design limits. Right after the accident many people will call him the best pilot ever ("he was such an experienced pilot, said the widow ...") and after a few years the investigation will find, that he did so many stupid things, an accident was only a question of time. This story has repeated itself time and again, I am getting tired of them (had to read another one three days ago ... déjà vu, FI, great guy, super nice professional, hell of a pilot, rolled, spun and looped everything that had wings, killed himself and two students when the plane just could not take the beating any longer ... many knew, nobody said something due to peer pressure).
I have done things out of utter stupidity and it almost killed me as a student pilot, just because I followed the example of a more experienced pilot (he could do it, I don't). I have broken rules and got away with it, but these rules are made to protect me (well, most of them ...) and therefore for my own safety, I should do what I am told. There is still enough room for legal fun. I have started to take lessons in aerobatics (plank) and after an hour I have a rather unhealthy complexion (I still have hope it goes away one day), but what fun, and all legal.
I have decided for me to speak up, if I think people get dangerous. Which is encouraged by the authorities but frown upon by my peers.
At least I don't have anything on my conscience, if something happens.

I got pushed off the high horse quite often but have not hurt anybody in the process. Now I walk and lead the horse.