PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guimbal Cabri G2
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2018, 19:58
aa777888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<Sigh> Here we go again...

Certainly the R22 and R44 have a checkered past. But those days are long gone where US Robinson operations are concerned. It took an SFAR and some design changes, but they were effective changes for the better.

I've already shown twice over that hull losses and annual fatalities in the US are effectively the same between Bells and Robinsons. Search for my posts, you'll find the data.

I've been struggling to find accident rate data, because rate data is a better indicator. I'm actually liking the Wikipedia article on the R22 as it has a little nugget in it. Reference 19 states that the Robinson fatal accident rate in 1997 was 0.7 per 100,000 flight hours. I couldn't find industry data going back to 1997, but that is right in line with the US fleet as a whole in the 2000's:

https://www.aea.net/events/rotorcraf...Statistics.pdf

There is little to suggest that has changed much in the US, either for Robinsons or the US fleet as a whole. As for the rest of the world, all bets are off, especially in Brazil and New Zealand, where Robinsons are destroyed with depressing regularity. But in the US all things Robinson remain reasonably in line with other helicopter types and makes. In other words, train it right, maintain it right, and fly it right, and you'll be alright

That said, although I am a Robinson owner, I am by no means deluded. Like any two bladed ship it will not treat you well in low G situations. Like any lightweight, two bladed machine it will not treat you well if flown too fast into turbulence. And like any low inertia machine, it does not suffer fools gladly when an auto is required. Nevertheless, it is clearly possible to fly them within their limits, and losses and loss rates in the US by all accounts that I can find remain comparable to the US fleet as a whole.

If you are determined to fly, as I am, and the only thing that makes financial sense for you (as if owning any helicopter ever makes financial sense ) is a Robinson, then it is very much to your benefit to have the most and best training in the type you are going to own and/or fly. If I was in a position to own and/or fly, say, an EC120, you better believe I'd be banging out hours in a G2 right now.