PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2018, 17:34
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
HH

I wonder what the intelligence briefings said? More importantly, task group operations (outside the NATO area) including using carrier aircraft as a task group weapon, had not been exercised in the years before 1982. As such they (CTG and staff) had to learn under fire. There is a wider point here - frequently the Armed Forces (and others) will have to do things for which they are not fully rehearsed, as such they need to innovate and adapt. Inevitably, things go wrong. Scapegoating is not only unfair but it prevents learning and adapting.

Woodward could easily have lost the war. He did not.

ORAC

Do you feel Sir Max Hastings is entitled to his other views - like about the RAF and fighter aircraft no longer being needed? Typhoon being a waste of money, perhaps?

You seem very keen to dismiss the education, training, service, employment etc of those who disagree with you. Learning things as part of an Engineering degree - does that count? Or learning things from publications starting with BR, JDP, ATP and so on? Or working in a joint service HQ environment? Being aboard a CVS during a period of fixed wing flying?

Perhaps you are unaware of the Whole Force Concept?

Who are these people?

Yes I did get the e-mail, but it was not for me - I am looking at other things.... I wonder if there are other things Reservists do to directly support the RN, including task group operations and exercises?

Jabba

I have no idea where to start with that! LPDs are not capital ships if we have a carrier? To be honest I am not sure what the definition is, but one full of bootnecks needs defending no? So is a LPD (and LSD(A) and so on) better defended with or without a carrier? Is she a high value unit?

Not_a_ boffin will be able to tell you what is wrong with the rest of your post. Or maybe you could try looking at the Royal Navy website to see the sorts of things ships have been doing. You might even read a news story like this. Or perhaps look at when we have tried to do a carrier role - such as commanding TF50, or the Exercise Deep Blue, without a carrier (as such)?

There have been suggestions that if it were not for the carriers, SDSR 10 would have cut frigate/destroyer numbers even more.