PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - am i dreaming ?? qatar airways related
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2018, 14:56
Airmann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi. I think you're over the age limit. I wouldn't go into the aviation business at your age. If you have a passion for flying for the amount you will spend at Qatar Aviation college you can buy yourself a Business Class ticket to the United States and get your licenses there. Just get your PPL and enjoy flying as a hobby. Flying as a job is nice no doubt but there are days that you'll wish you were doing something else, especially the way the roster run at most middle East airlines. Like I side do it as a hobby and get your fix that way. Not everything you have a passion for has to be your career.

​​​​Get a PPL and maybe an IR or ME in Europe or the US and once or twice a year you can take yourself a few weeks holiday and enjoy some flying.
That will satisfy the bug

I know of a number of guys who suddenly realised at 38-50 years old that they wanted to be pilots. And I watched everyone single one of them fail at making it a career. Many couldn't achieve the PPL.

It's common for men your age to suddenly feel like there are things they have wish they had done when they were younger suddenly decide to try it out. Some buy a sports car others chase 20 year old models others go bungee jumping etc.

I don't think it's wrong to have these feelings or to go after them but I would also advise to go slowly and make sure that your sure you can do it. So talk to a flying school in Europe or America. Plan some time off from work to do PPL ground School and get some flying hours. See if you like it, if you can handle it. If you have an established job don't just leave it overnight. And tread carefully. Even if you get your licenses Airlines are VERY VERY VERY hesitant to hire people your age as second officers.

​​​​​

Last edited by Airmann; 3rd Jul 2018 at 15:11.