PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS 350: "Hold my beer son and watch this!"
Old 3rd Jul 2018, 05:41
Rotorbee

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Banks over 60°? Check
Pitch attitude over 30°? Check
"Aerobatic flight means an intentional maneuver involving an abrupt change in an aircraft's attitude, an abnormal attitude, or abnormal acceleration, not necessary for normal flight."? Check
Pretty much aerobatic. I wonder, if Airbus found out whose ship that was.
You may do that in a controlled environment like the military ... as a test pilot, but in the civil world, there is just no need for it. If you want to do it, look first at the Flying Bulls BO 105 and the additional maintenance aerobatics require.
It is always the same: "carfully flown" justifies everything? From my point of view, the video quality is much too low to see if it was "carfully flown". I am not sure, if there was always positive g in the right direction. Actually I doubt it. "Carfully flown" you might be able to roll an R22, but the margin is so small, I would not try it, even if I had rolled the BO 105 a thousand times. The margin of a squirrel is much bigger, but still, it isn't made for it.
I have seen operators where the chief pilot and owner does stuff like that. Unfortunately his company has a high accident rate and I lost a friend who worked for him, due to maintenance issues with one ship. This attitude creeps into everything in a company and makes everything unsafe.