PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Future Fighter
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2018, 19:13
Sts121

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been lurking round these forums for a few years now. As a former air cadet in my youth I am fascinated by all things aviation, clearly I don’t have as much knowledge as you guys on here which is why I have never registered to post, until now.

i grew up going round the many RAF stations and seeing the variety the RAF had to offer. Back in the early 90s with the buccaneers just going, Jaguars, tornados, harriers etc. I think if memory serves me right then Marham was still operating the Canberra back then. Anyway I digress.

I cant see how the British will ever produce aircraft they once did. So my question is why aren’t we just buying off the Americans? Many other countries do and we seem to be in bed with them every time somewhere kicks off. I know the F16/F18/F15 are all getting on a bit but isn’t it more sensible to become a customer and buy “off the shelf” and have an airforce of good proven capability and with it a decent number of jets?

i haven’t yet seen this question asked on here so forgive me if I missed it, I’m sure it must be a flawed argument so I look forward to being educated and out right!