PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - L-12A Electra accident in Belgium
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2018, 17:05
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
I cannot speak for the Lockheed Electra, I have not flown one. The DC-3 has a locking tailwheel, as it is otherwise free castoring, so of no use for steering, the rudder (and perhaps brakes and differential power) do that. That said, the tailwheel does little to control the direction of the aircraft until it is firmly planted on the ground, and the aircraft is moving so slowly that the rudder(s) have little aerodynamic effect. The DC-3, and seemingly the Electra, are wheel landed normally, so the tailwheel is not doing much at runway speeds anyway. I was trained to never three point a DC-3 (Basler Turbine), and never assume that the tailwheel will hold it straight, that's the pilots job on the pedals. It is noteworthy for this event, that the rudders can be seen to move well to the left before the tailwheel touches, the rudders are controlling the direction of the plane. Even after the tailwheel is down, the tailwheel would not be doing much to overcome the effect of the application of rudder, until the plane slowed to the point where the rudders had no effect.

The gyroscopic effect of the tail lifting or settling is there, though at low power easily overcome with correct application of rudder. A few knots of crosswind gust would produce more effect than the gyroscopic effect in most taildraggers.