PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doing the ATPL exams..... Again
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2018, 12:36
rudestuff

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
The OP already has ATPL theory credits.

To preempt the the obvious response, the 7 year rule only applies if you want an ATPL. For example, ATPL credits are valid indefinitely if you want to be a flight instructor or to get a multi-crew type rating.

There are a number of things to consider here, mainly time and money. A 61.75 is practically free, 15 hours of FAA training and test should cost about £2000 and 50 hours in an IFR pa28 or c172 is £4,300. Flights, visa and an Airbnb should make it around £8000.

That’s a lot of money, but you’ll be done inside a month and exempt from both the ATPL exams and any assessment or training requirements at an ATO. You’ll also have an extra 65 hours to pad the logbook, not to mention an extra IR and a great time. That’s significantly cheaper than a full time ATPL course where you can’t work for 6 months. A distance learning course will of course be cheaper, but it still takes 6-12 months of hard work not to mention £1000 in exam fees.

If I was in the OPs position, I would prefer to spend a bit extra, get the exemption, get the extra hours and be finishing up my MCC in 2 months instead of 18 months. There are jobs out there right now. You won’t get to be a captain for 4-5 years so there’s plenty of time to get the ATPLs done later (and when they talk about EFIS and IRUs you’ll actually know what they are talking about!). One last thing, don’t bother getting your MEP. Most airlines use Jets

Last edited by rudestuff; 2nd Jul 2018 at 12:59.