PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commands Direct Entry
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2003, 06:53
wagtail23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My apologies to you 146ers

Sorry guys, didn't mean to get under your skin so much, especially you 146ers. To be honest, the greatest number of unstable approaches, like accidents, occur when the captain is flying (he knows best eh?) and no matter how much prompting you give him, that irresistible dark hole looks ever so inviting!!

But you have to ask why the company has upped the command requirements surely, and that bit about the 146ers was straight from a highly placed source (no I am not a journalist, but I will protect my sources - or I will be found out and sacked, or shot, or get an extended stay at the Jumera Hilton!!)

The company gets a good look at each individual during the selection process, so why not make a decision concerning that individual about their command potential: previous command experience on FBW or 777/767/757 etc and loads of good 'ticks-in-the-boxes' should get you an accelerated command IF your performance has warranted it. Then there's the F/O only chap with limited experience and hours who would definately benefit from 3 years in the left seat. Then the big amorphous mass in the middle who have loads of experience (even ex RAF types who cry a lot!!) who when their performance and experience levels warrant, should get a shot, and not have to wait for the grass to grow (takes a long time in the pit).

Try doing a sim support for a chap 2 years your senior, and watch what happens on the LOFT (I realise that the pressure of upgrade loft sims can turn you into mickey mouse) but should you really be expected to lead them by the hand through what should be COMMAND decisions?

Will you stomach the thought of the village idiot who scores average (though in reality should be a fail) getting his comand ahead of you just because he has comand hours in George W Airways when your PERFORMANCE has been much better throughout your career.................hum?

Ponder a while and send your answer to [email protected]

Fly safe, and just remember (as I have, having read what I have written) that htis is a RUMOUR network, not a WHINGE network!! But where else can we let off steam anonymously (SP)

There coming, and there her to stay (DECs) just as long as the upgrades contine.