PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Navigation
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2018, 20:38
hugh flung_dung

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wannabe1999
Hello,
On a navigation computer (CRP5) finding GS and TRK, when the wind mark (i.e. the drift) ends up Port or Starboard of the centerline, when do you add or subtract this number from your HDG?
Please also if anyone can recommend a website or youtube channel which teaches UK PPL nav I would be be so grateful. I've had to put my practical PPL training on hold for the past 4 months to try and learn navigation and pass the exam but being hopeless at maths I am finding it (the CRP5 stuff in particular) extremely difficult to understand!
To answer your first question: always draw a sketch of the situation before you start. By doing this you will know which side the wind is from and whether it's ahead or behind, rather than just treating the numbers as a mathematical puzzle.
The wizz wheel is a brilliant tool and it's worth investing some time with an instructor who really understands all its foibles (preferably an FI who grew-up with linear slide rules or log tables). There are several people around the UK (including me!) who offer 1:1 groundschool on any aspects of the syllabus - whereabouts are you?

HFD