PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How much fuel?
Thread: How much fuel?
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2018, 14:40
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Check Airman
None of the airlines I've worked for have any provision for this. You'd have to dig into the ACARS to find the arrival fuel (which could well be meaningless if the plane's been on the ground for a while), and go out to the wing to speak to the fueller. We don't get fuel slips.
The airline I worked for required a manual (paper) log-book entry recording the fuel-on-board at shut-down. Also, we were delivered the fuel upload slip, in litres.

During FMC programming, a quick, approximate mental check of the fuel required in kilograms multiplied by 1.25* gave a good approximate amount required, in litres. If the fuel slip showed around that expected amount, we were good to go. The assumption of course is, that the on-board fuel at shut-down was accurate, and it appears as though it would have been in this incident.**

* 1.2658 @ SG 0.78 is the actual conversion factor
** Re 'arrival fuel could well be meaningless', (either from ACARS or the paper log), no, I don't think so. If I understand correctly, the B777 APU uses ~250kg/hr. While an APU usage of say, 10hrs is possible, (though, one hopes, rare!), that's only 2.5T of fuel, well within the rough figures and error-detecting range when using the above method. So, FOB at shutdown, 5.5T, fuel required 86T; 80.5 x 1.25 = 100k litres expected on the fuel slip. Actual fuel delivered in litres would have been approx 151k litres.

Last edited by PJ2; 1st Jul 2018 at 15:47.