PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New pilots on the 737. Watch that pitch up on go around
Old 1st Jul 2018, 06:53
excrab

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Why does every go around have to be flown at max thrust just because there is no auto throttle. Our SOP is to brief a sensible thrust setting for the aircraft weight. 85 to 90 % N1 will get it climbing, and then you can adjust it once you’re away from the ground.

But what I don’t understand is the comment about 21st century autothrottles. They designed it to work that way in the 20th century, select speed mode on final approach, and the A/T goes to arm
and gives you both underspeed protection and automatic go around thrust if you press TOGA. There are possible issues with uncommamded thrust lever movement in very turbulent conditions, and it is presumably because of that and possible
litigation as a result that the FCTM says that Boeing don’t recommend it. But we used to do it at the first 737 operator I worked for and I don’t remember it being a problem, but nowadays it is frowned upon.

of course the other cure for these issues is to train two engine go arounds properly in the sim, rather than just flying them at the end of a dual channel approach during LVO training.