PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helping a Student Overcome Fear of Stalls
Old 6th Oct 2003, 05:32
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently did some stall revision - pre GFT with a student who I had not flown with before......what they did frightened the heck out of me!!........

Stall entery consisted of closing the throttle, starting into a loop, causing the aircraft to stall in about 45 deg nose up attitude and then recovery consisted of pushing over to almost vertical down!!!!! Wooooooaaaaaaaaaaa

How this student got to this stage without being scared amazed me

Getting rid of stalling fears:

1. Show that while lift decreases rapidly at the stalling angle of attack, it is still more that it was at a very low angle of attack.

2. Get the student very happy with slow flight at a safe height.

3. On the ground, at about 50% to 75% of the stall speed, demonstrate the effectiveness of the ailerons.....you can move the wing up and down slightly even in a breeze......you move the nose wheel on and off the ground at a speed below the stall.

4. Having provided the background, put the student back in the air at a safe height in slow flight. Ask them to very gently and slowly ease back the stick until the stall warner starts to sound then move the stick forward enough to stop the warning....some practice ad they can use the stick as a switch to turn the stall warning on and off.

5. Next step....with the stall warning on, ease the stick back until the buffet can be felt...then as above progress to a point where the stick is a switch turning the buffett on and off.

6. Do I have to explain the next step?

Points to remember....if it isn't stalled then it can't spin....prompt stall recovery at the first sign of wing drop is just as good as using rudder to stop the wing going further down.

If the sticking point is fear of a large wing drop or spin then take the aircraft to height, instructor holds the aircraft in a stall while the student uses the rudder to keep the wings level.....or as close to it as they can.

Test pilots enter the stall for the first time in gentle stages. At all times, deceleration is at about 1 knot per second i.e. from 60 to 40Kt takes a full 20 repetitions of "one thousand". We all I am sure agree that the standard training stall happens alot quicker than that...why?.......isn't the student in a similar position to the test pilot.....moving from the known to the unknown?

In short, students who are confident flying the aircraft in the slow flight area and recognise the symptoms will find it easier to empand into the slightly slower areas of flight.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

DFC