PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defence: Public ignorance, the media, and cutbacks
Old 30th Jun 2018, 10:20
Onceapilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FODPlod
This is the same gung-ho Max Hastings who, at his typically blinkered, fiercely pro-Army anti-everything else worst, labelled the Royal Navy as cowardly for not starting a shooting match with Somali pirates holding hostages at gunpoint on board a yacht bobbing about on the ocean. He even got that wrong because it was a Royal Fleet Auxiliary tanker on the scene, not a warship.
Yes, I have let this sit for a while but did no one else read it? Typical MH, IMO. He tells Military stories but, has limited Military understanding. He certainly makes no coherent argument for all the points he raises in the "we need to tell the truth about defence" article. I won't debate any detail in his piece, because I do not think it covers the subjects in any way shape or form, except one point. Trident. I cannot understand how anyone who supports the Defence capability of the UK can fail to recognise the fantastic VFM and the backstop punch that Trident gives to UK Defence and status.

OAP

Last edited by Onceapilot; 1st Jul 2018 at 07:19.