PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB June2018
Thread: AAIB June2018
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2018, 09:19
OvertHawk

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Fareastdriver
If every catch or control was redesigned so that it would be impossible to make a mistake the aircraft would be impossible to service or operate.
That's true - However, on at least one type I've flown it was possible for the catches to appear to be secure when they were not. They insist (sensibly) that we paint the inside of a footwell step in a contrasting colour in case it is left open for flight (consequences absolutely none) but on the other hand they take no action for a demonstrated human factors trap such as this that could quite easily take out the helicopter and it's occupants.

I'm not suggesting that they should be designed to preclude any kind of mistake, however, surely it is not beyond the wit of man to design and construct a fastener that can't appear to be closed when it's not!

And I remain deeply cynical of the continued attitude of OEMs in cases like this. "We've warned you about our crap design so it's you problem if you make a mistake". And then they bombard you with spam SBs written by their legal department rather than their engineers listing all the ways it's not their fault if you screw up. "Look at SB blah blah blah Your Honour - We clearly told him it was dangerous to make this mistake with our equipment so how can it be our fault?"