PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Minister calls for pay increase for servicemen
Old 30th Jun 2018, 08:26
Onceapilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Melchett01
Well if The Gruaniad is correct and No10 has waded in, our pay is now political and about SoS’ ambitions for the future as anything else. Melchies’ potential COAs for what they’re worth:

3. SoS plays the long game, both for his political ambitions and future pay, and we all get 1.5 - 2%. Although sub-inflationary he claims credit for lifting the 1% pay cap and buys a lot of brownie points for sticking up for Defence whilst also showing himself to be a team player and banks support for a future leadership challenge.

My money is on COA 3. He is a politician after all.
I suspect your 3 as well. TMay has proved herself to be a fudger's fudger. I also suspect she will do the same with the overall Defence spend. There will be no serious chopping or rationalisation of capabilities to match requirements budget, just 2% GDP spend continued and SoS for Defence told to make it all work with trimming at the edges (despite this being to the detriment of all!). I will be very surprised if the overall results of the pay review and the Defence review are anything more than......a fudge!

OAP