PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON History and Nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2018, 05:50
dc9-32

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
The first loadsheet I ever completed was for an Aviaco DC9 (possibly hence my name on here).....

I remember the crew had to record the wind speed and direction on the loadsheet before sign-off and on this flight, the Captain licked his finger and held his hand out of the cockpit window then wrote something on the loadsheet. He knew I was new to the job but naive I was not

Those photos from cj just evoke so many memories, and every single one a good one. Yes it was cr@p when it rained or was freezing cold, but in the summer months, just being outside doing a job I loved was just perfect. I worked with a great bunch too. There always seemed to be a "them and us" stigma with the Monarch and Britannia ramp staff. It was worse in the terminal where Britannia girls wouldn't even look at you let alone say hello !

The visiting foreign airline crews were so hospitable back in those days. As soon as the punters were off, they would invariably offer the dispatcher a drink of tea, coffee, juice etc. I got to know a regular Aviaco crew member quite well over the summer months one year, so much so she offered me more than a drink It was deemed rude not to accept you understand.....

In those days we were respected by crews and management alike and I know I felt proud at the end of a shift knowing I had completed another days work safely. These days, people are on zero hour contracts, hand out loadsheets like they are worthless pieces of paper and get no respect from their management.

I had just under 5 excellent years on the ramp at LTN and a couple of years in the terminal prior to that. Every single day was a new day offering a new challenge and locked in a new memory.

cj keep the photos coming and maybe PM me if you know where the other ex OM girls/boys are these days.

Last edited by dc9-32; 30th Jun 2018 at 08:13.