PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norwegian-2
Thread: Norwegian-2
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2018, 23:02
gd44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Plane.Silly
Yes the plane would be lighter with 0 pax, but as i mentioned, all the hard work of shedding the weight could be outdone by the people coming onto the plane.
Unless Norwegian are willing to weigh pax before embarking, then overcharging for the larger pax. Similar to a couple of Pacific operators i can't remember the name of...
If there are 100 passengers that weigh 90kg each that’s 9000kg.

if the DOW of the aeroplane is 45000kg and you add the pax, that’s 54000kg...

If the aeroplane has lighter seats and the DOW decreases to say 44750kg and you add those same passengers, that’s 53750kg...

Lets assume in both cases 5 ‘large’ passengers board at a combined 1000kg...(chunky, but easy maths)

55000 vs 54750...the aircraft always weighs less with the new seats, hence it requires less fuel to take the same passengers across the same distance in the same conditions...

It’s very simple maths and when you scale that across an entire fleet, say 100 aeroplanes, that’s 25,000kg saved across the fleet in this example and some serious $$$ off your fleets fuel bill.

So no, the hard work isn’t ‘outdone’ by increasing the payload.

*The example is hypothetical and I’ve made no attempt to reflect the true weights of pax or the MAX’ DOW