PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Javelins at Kalaikunda
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2018, 15:17
volleyball64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was an Air Radar Fitter with 64 Squadron when we were detached from Binbrook to Kalaikunda. In India, Royal Navy Buccaneers also took part in the exercise, successfully attacking Kalaikunda airfield, apparently undetected. We were told that the IAF had a hangar of MIG21's which remained locked away, since the Soviets didn't want Brits or Americans getting close to their latest technology. This left the IAF flying their older Hunters with only daylight operational capability. Our Javelins flew alone on defensive duty after dark. This must have made the exercise must have been of limited value to the IAF. My lasting memory is cleaning my teeth using a can of lager because the essential water tablets were so unpleasant. From India, 64 Squadron did head to RAF Tengah, Singapore, on anti-Sukarno duty. I remained with 64 until March 1967. Thoughtlessly, the Squadron has its Summer Ball on the 30th July, 1966. I, along with about 50 squadron members, spent the evening in Raffles Hotel car park listening to the World Cup Final on short-wave radio. Extra time meant that we even missed the last waltz.