PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - G-VIIO Las Vegas
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2018, 13:50
hans brinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On ground emergency checklist

A long time ago I flew the DHC8. It was a new type for the company, before there was only the "little f#kker". Our technical department didn't like the bombardier ECKL, and rewrote the whole thing. While I didn't like everything about it, it was an enormous improvement over the factory one. One thing they added was an "On Ground emergency". For everything fire or smoke related the procedure was the same (going from memory here):
- bring aircraft to a stop
- set parking brake
- mayday call to atc
- pa call to alert flight attendant
- both fuel levers cut-off
- Apu off
- both fire handles pull
- push Apu fire bottle
- push number one bottle for both engines
- asses situation to see if evacuation is required
+ If evacuation required, pa call for evacuation , atc call we are evacuating, batteries off
+ If not pa call remain seated, atc call we need tow truck.

The main idea was, this is not a time to second guessing, we need one thing that covers all. I asked during my PC wouldn't it be better to keep both bottles for the engine that is on fire and the answer was no for three reasons. One, no need to confirm what is on fire, two, no need to wait for 30seconds to fire bottle, you are on the ground, don't fight fire, evacuate, three, no change of forgetting to shut the working engine.
Like i said, didn't agree with necessnecessarily everything, but it would have worked here.