PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leaving BA for low cost
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2018, 07:13
Mikehotel152

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting thread. But it's surprising to me that nobody has mentioned the difference in the day to day job when comparing RHS 747 with LHS on a medium LOCO jet. I mean, what is it about being an airline pilot that floats your boat, as it were? In my humble opinion, there is a fundamental difference between longhaul and shorthaul jobs.

I gave up a previous career because I didn't want to sit at a paperwork-strewn desk surrounded by grey filing cabinets, looking out a window at a view of brick walls and concrete. For me, being an airline pilot is about the Vr and Vref, the hand-flying, selecting of AP modes, judging descents, and beautiful (and ugly) views into 150+ sometimes challenging airports, over a variety of routes and with a multicultural mix of interesting personnel. Those being the parts of the actual day to day job I most enjoy, longhaul flying and even the boring two-sector days, with 4-5 hour legs that the likes of Thomson fly on the 737, simply does not hold much attraction.

I have been with the same LOCO for the best part of 9 years, have lived at the base closest to my family for 7 years, fly a stable roster which allows me to plan childcare months in advance, and I'm in my own bed almost every night. The occasional out of base trip becomes a pleasure. I'm also training and checking, which brings an added dimension to my career. I'm happy with my remuneration, though benefits are non-existent and this is a company with a high turnover of staff for a reason. Interestingly, the leavers are split pretty evenly between short and longhaul airlines.

Overall, however, it's clear in my mind that being RHS 747 with BA would not give me what I want from my flying career. Much as I would love to spend a day on a 747 flightdeck, I wouldn't trade jobs. Horses for courses. For some pilots, flying longhaul or joining a legacy carrier is the Holy Grail.