PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATSB clearly holds back Mt Hotham incident report
Old 29th Jun 2018, 00:10
framer

Received 481 Likes on 129 Posts
Old Akro and LB, you’ve gone off all half cocked there.
Framer, the pilot completed all reviews and remedial training required of him by CASA
Yip, it doesn’t change the gist of my comment though that the powers that be will be hoping/ checking there are no holes in the paperwork that can be exploited by lawyers. ( ie a reason to delay the release of the report).
I agree that the time taken for the ATSB to produce this report brings into question either the competence or independence of the ATSB into question
Rather than suggesting incompetence I was suggesting that time may have been taken to ensure vulnerabilities were identified and planned for.
But the inference that the pilot was either substandard or allowed to continue flying improperly while the investigation was underway is scurrilous.
Which inference was that? Stating that the pilot was identified as needing remedial training? That is what happened. I got it from the report and it is no doubt going to be a point of interest. No good will come from ignoring that part of the report or insulting people who raise it.
If you re read my posts you might see that rather than addressing the competence or incompetence of the pilot ( I have no idea), I was throwing out a hypothesis regarding the motivations that caused the report to take so long.
However, what continues to disgust me is so-called “professional” pilots who seem to enjoy casting aspersions on deceased colleagues.
I cast no aspersions , the pilot was found ( rightly or wrongly) to require remedial training, that is written in the report and is a fact that was relevant when discussing why the report may have been delayed. Should we avoid repeating statements in a public report if they say something negative about someone? The whole point of my posts was about the ATSB.