PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - G-VIIO Las Vegas
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2018, 08:42
M.Mouse

Controversial, moi?

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
As you can see in bullet 8, this procedure is for an engine fire in flight. Hence it is not optimized for an engine fire on ground (when fuel can collect and burn close to the fuselage, while in flight it will only affect a part of the wing and the according trailing edge devices) and not optimized to prepare for an evacuation. Normally there should be two procedures (air/ground).
So what would be different in an Engine Fire Checklist (Ground) and an Engine Fire Checklist (Air)? As far as I am aware Boeing do not differentiate.

And there should be an engine fire procedure (fire warning while the engine performs normally) and an "catastrophic engine failure procedure" when a bunch of warnings go off at the sime time, the engine stops producing thrust and a loud bang supplements the cockpit indications. But that would of course increase the number of procedures to an unacceplable(sic) level...
There is. It is called the 'Engine Severe Damage/Separation' checklist.

Essentially the initial actions are the same leading to the Fire Switch being pulled. In the Engine Severe Damage/Separation case the memory items stop at that point. i.e. the fire bottles do not get discharged.

It may have changed since I was with BA but I recall that on the ground the Engine Fire checklist is accomplished for Engine Severe Damage/Separation.