PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - G-VIIO Las Vegas
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2018, 18:58
Jwscud

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tdracer
Wiggy, trying not to be critical (and since you appear to be knowledgeable about such things), why isn't the evac check list a memory recall item? An evacuation is almost by definition an emergency, I'd think taking the time to look it up could be critical to the success (or lack there of).
Sure, it wouldn't prevent a startled crew from getting in wrong (although that's what sim training is for - to make it second nature), but the seconds it would save could well save lives.
My understanding is it isn’t a Boeing memory item? On the 737 and 777 at 2 different airlines we now work to the Boeing checklist which is as posted up, solely with differences for types. BA used to have it on the yoke of the 777 with separate actions for Captain and FO, but the AAIB highlighted problems with that in the G-YMMM accident. They were then operating using Captain and FO actions from the back of the QRH, and finally after this accident they have gone for the Boeing version as above.

The decision to evacuate is a big one, and one advantage of using the QRH is it is considered and done correctly, rather than the rush that left an engine running in this case. Our training department’s view is that 5 seconds to get the QRH and start reading is preferable to launching passengers into a still turning and burning GE90.

I was trained elsewhere where that simply reading the condition statement on the Evacuation checklist gives you a chance to assess and confirm that you are making the correct decision (that airline had had some over-punchy initiations or needless evacuations).