PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MQ-9 flies to RIAT 2018
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2018, 16:27
BEagle

Received 279 Likes on 113 Posts
I remember seeing both the B-52 and B-1B displays at Griffiss AFB one year when I was there on static display with a VC10K.

The B-52 came in very fast and low and was closely followed by lots of synchronised pyrotechnics on the ground - very well done!

Then came the B-1B. Even faster, of course, but then it pulled up surprisingly steeply, conducted a shallow wing over and visual circuit to land. It was rather an energetic arrival display by Uncle Spam's new bomber, I thought. After landing it parked behind us and was immediately surrounded by ropes and barriers manned by humourless air force police in chrome-plated coal scuttle helmets. Out climbed the crew, led by some lantern-jawed, RayBan wearing racing snake of a young Major.

Once the initial interest had waned, I wandered over and met a grizzled old maintenance chief of the old school who was looking after the Bone. His first comment was "Damn young asshole overstressed the bird with that hot dogging - we'll be stuck here for days!". But I was allowed to have a look inside - what a magnificent aeroplane. The RAF should have had some to replace the Vulcan!

Some years later I was again in the US with a VC10K, this time at McConnell AFB. We'd had to move from our first hotel and were in what was then the Holiday Inn, enjoying a free (yes, really!) Happy Hour on the roof terrace. Then the whole building shook as a number of B-1Bs took off and flew directly overhead in max burner almost deafening us all - epic!