PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - G-VIIO Las Vegas
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2018, 20:48
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sewushr

There’s been a change since you flew - Blinds are required to be up, the cabin crew make an announcement to that effect pre takeoff and pre landing.

Originally Posted by 42go
To me, all this kerfuffle about whether ATC told the crew about the fire, how long it took to call an evac, etc etc, are ALL overshadowed by the fact that the Captain initiated the evac without doing the most important action -........That should be the focus of any criticism here.
I’d agree that’s tempting but I’m not sure you can do that in isolation...without wishing to sounds uncharacteristically “new age” about this you have to be a bit holistic about this and look at why the checklist wasn’t actioned correctly, not just focus “ criticism” on that fact. Yelling “yah boo, I’m criticising him/the entire Fleet/entire Airline because an evac checklist wasn’t done properly” doesn’t improve flight safety one iota.

There’s been a quite grown up debate about this accident elsewhere on Pprune..interesting observations there: possibly disruptive effect of the “heavy” (verses the sanitised two crew environment that is emulated in the sim), the checklist sequence, and the WTF /almost dislocation/disbelief factor individuals can experience when faced with a really serious emergency, something that is an emotion that you certainly will never get in the sim.

Not saying any of the above “excuses” the checklist being handled the way it was, but I can see why it happened and why similar will happen again. I’ve flown for over forty years, never had a perfect day at work, never flown with a perfect colleague.

Last edited by wiggy; 26th Jun 2018 at 21:01.