PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Elstree temp closure
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2018, 16:18
eckhard

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I did my first solo at Elstree 46 years ago (!) and also did a year as a flying instructor there, so I suppose I have a soft spot for the place but if I’m honest, it always has been a bit shabby. Short, undulating runway; school one end and power cables the other, not ideal for EFATO.

Some of the characters brought a bit of money and glamour with them from North London. Spencer Flack, Alan Dyer, Jan Behrman, Keith Ewert (with Bill Bailey, of St Johns Air Ambulance fame), the Czech Stephan Brod (who imported Aero 145s), Hughie Green, Graham Hill and of course the amazing man who made it all possible, John Houlder.

Who can forget Geoffrey’s booming voice from the “tower” and the calmer, measured tones of Pete? The ground crew (of whom I was proud to call myself a member for a short time) included Jock, his dog Haggis (who miraculously avoided decapitation by walking close to spinning props), Ollie and Tom Kilcoyne the manager, who also looked after JH’s Aero Commander.

I also have fond memories of Leavesden, having instructed there for six years. A much quieter, more professional atmosphere with the advantage of a wider, longer runway and a superb SRA down to 1/2 nm which saved a few diversions over the years.

Sorry for the ramble but to stay on topic, I’m glad if some improvements are being put in place at Elstree. It has a great history and deserves a bright future.

Last edited by eckhard; 25th Jun 2018 at 19:09.