PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cheap and Cheerful A320 revalidation wanted
Old 25th Jun 2018, 15:38
dynamicq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap and Cheerful A320 revalidation wanted

Hey guys,

Found myself in a bit of an awkward situation. I have a 320 rating with CAE when joined Monarch airlines in May 2017. Well that turned out rather fun, and now I have A320 rating with 88 hours on type. (Spoilers: they went bankrupt). Along with the other friends I made during my initial stages in the company, 4 of us found an Airbus job, where me and another guy didn't. Mostly due to absence of total hours. We are fresh out of flight school.

At the moment I have a job with another airline, and another rating. The rating is super unpopular with only 160 or so aircraft in the world. Not very good for career progression. Naturally I would like to keep the rating current. I am in Belgium at the moment, I hold UK license.

There are a few questions though.

The rating expires 27JUL18, and financially I am struggling. 6 month unemployed, no savings, just moved to another country, new flat, deposit, furniture etc etc.. you know the drill. So it is important for me to shop around.

Under UK CAA rules, can I let the rating expire up to 3 month before I need to renew it, instead of revalidate?
The first type rating can be revalidated on a Fixed base simulator instead of paying for the FFS, or is it some BS I have heard wrong?
Does anyone know a cheap and cheerful type rating ATO/instructor, who would be happy to bare a couple of inexperienced pilots, who don't fly the type? The cheapest quote we had was 2400EUR for two of us all in.
How much financially and physically it will cost me to renew if I decide to renew this after 3 years. In my case it is the end of my bond at the current company.

Thanks guys, I am a little bit inexperienced in ratings and licenses as you can see, so bare with me if you can.