PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow-2
Thread: Heathrow-2
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2018, 10:11
Prophead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Conflating as usual Prophead. I have no issue against Heathrow ONLY the exorbitant cost of the new runway in terms of an underwrite by the taxpayer AND the road rail infastructure which no doubt will be in place before NorthernRail is fixed .
But Navpi, you have told us many times that the rail system in the north is more than good enough to transport passengers to MAN and therefore there is no case for regional flights to LHR, please make up your mind.

Strange that you should bring up the Channel Tunnel, Prophead. That project is the poster-child of broken promises to Regional UK and a large part of the reason that political promises on infrastructure are so comprehensively distrusted in the regions.
So you cannot travel to Kings Cross from the North and get straight onto a Eurostar to Paris then just by crossing the road? Strange, I could have sworn I did just that many times.

On the one hand people argue about cost and then complain that more wasn't spent. HS2 is up against much opposition on costs. I also doubt the Channel Tunnel could support all the extra traffic of direct trains from here there and everywhere. The St Pancras exchange makes more sense but I do agree that HS1 should have gone to Kings Cross and been connected to HS1/Tunnel. We may also find the final design of LHR is similarly compromised after all these constraints and funding complaints.