PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Elstree temp closure
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2018, 09:43
AndoniP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheOddOne
You go back a bit! Based at Denham, we found Leavesden's RADAR extremely useful when coming back and the weather was a tad less than advertised. But then it was owned by Rolls-Royce, so who was going to pay to keep it open when they didn't need it any more?
I recall the CAA pulling Elstree's licence a few years ago due the parlous state of the runway, until they patched it. I'd guess the cost of a full resurface somewhere around £1million. Who is going to pay for that? Is that Lake Bucaneer all covered in green mould still there?
I never enjoyed going to Elstree. Our Head Office was there and we had to drop off a/c for servicing, waste of an afternoon as far as I was concerned, but they did pay me!

I would imaging the runway would need to be closed for a hangar construction if the equipment was going to infringe the safeguarded surfaces, possibly the sideslope if it's near the rest of the buildings.

TOO
...and yet leavesden closed long ago and elstree is still open and being constantly developed. it's a fine airfield to fly from. I don't know when the knockers were last there but it has changed for the better. Whilst it may not be the most beautiful it's certainly busy and in a great area to fly from.