PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B777 rejected take off. Confusion on flight deck.
Old 25th Jun 2018, 04:09
DirectAnywhere

Received 164 Likes on 36 Posts
Sorry Snakecharma but no-one is suggesting there were any issues with the decision to evacuate.

There was no question there was a fire - the relief pilot confirmed that to the Captain almost immediately via visual inspection from the cabin - and that the decision to evacuate was correct. No-one is criticising that decision The devil and the deep blue sea were in the same place. There was no middle ground. They were in the poo, no doubt about it.

The issues from this evac relate primarily to the Captain’s decision to run the evac checklist from memory and subsequent failure to shutdown the operating #2 engine. Exits 2L, 3L, 2R and, after 5 pax evac’d, 1L were rendered unusable by fire. The Captain’s decision to run the checklist from memory and failure to shutdown the #2 engine rendered 3R and 4R unusable as a result of jet blast. Therefore, of the 8 exits, 4 were unusable due fire, 2 were effectively rendered unusable by the Captain and only 2 were available for evac, being 1R and 4L, at extreme ends and sides of the aircraft.

They were somewhat fortunate the aircraft was only half full as they only had 1/4 of the exits available, broadly in line with certification requirements of half the exits for a full pax load.

I would respectfully suggest you need to read the report carefully, rather than make vague statements about demons and oceans.

As I said earlier, there are clear learnings in this accident. I look at recent sims I’ve done, and this report, and take those learnings gladly on board. I’m not sure I could have done better but I hope I can take something from this and maybe learn from it if, heaven forbid, I’m confronted with something similar while in the LHS one day.

Last edited by DirectAnywhere; 25th Jun 2018 at 04:25.