PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA to be audited on cabin evacuation standards
Old 24th Jun 2018, 18:51
AVR4000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by J.O.

Tell that to the cabin crew who’ve had to deal with fires in an OHB.
The cabin crew can unlock them at any time. Obviously.

Such a lock should be controlled from the C/A stations or from the galleys (where it is logical to get water to suppress a battery fire anyway).

This is *if* such a locking system is created in the first place. I am not convinced but *if* regulators decide to implement such a thing, the most logical option is to lock them during the taxi and take-off and during approach.

I must admit that I am not totally sure about passengers grabbing their carry-on *if* the cabin is filling with black smoke (Manchester 1985 type of event). The cases I know about (including the EK521) where they brought their bags didn't have THAT bad of a condition inside the cabin (they took their bags because they didn't "perceive" the situation as "that" threatening).

They didn't bring bags in Manchester since it was full panic in the cabin shortly after the aircraft came to a complete stop. Even the most ignorant of ignorant's would realize that black smoke filling the cabin means DANGER.