PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hunter endurance anybody?
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2018, 11:58
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
Time certainly flies, eh Jinda'?

Some 8 months after your event, I'd just taken off from Brawdy and felt some unusual vibration through the airframe, which eased a bit when I slowed down, but was still there every time I turned... So I was advised to jettison the tanks into St Brides Bay and RTB with a fixed throttle approach. All went OK, but a tyre burst on landing, debris from which somehow managed to bend the pitot tube.

After the engine was tested following a check of bleed valve operation, it was cleared as being OK.

Then some experienced Hunter mate told me that, if the nosewheel rubbing block wasn't properly connecting with the tyre to slow it down after retraction, it could still be rotating 10 min later - and if it was out of balance, it would certainly cause the vibration I'd experienced. Oh well....

A mate of mine joked to one of the humourless USN people from the Biscuit Factory "I hope that (BEagle) didn't blow your headphones off when he dropped his tanks on your cables!". A stony faced silence followed as we weren't supposed to know about SOSUS in those days....

When Happiness Was Hunter Shaped!