PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crew humiliation Mexican style
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2018, 06:44
learjet87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Better understand the customs legislation

Originally Posted by ShotOne
on arrival Mexico (Cancun), all foreign flight crew (and only crew)diverted to a cordoned off 'pen" to await a customs search. The actual search seemed a perfunctory "going through the motions" took 10-15 minutes, conducted in full view of passengers passing by, duty free bottles clinking, none of whom were searched. Interesting that resources can be found for this while Mexico is in the grip of a full-blown drugs war although I haven't experienced quite such targeted unpleasantness anywhere else in the world. Anyone know what it's all about?
answering your query , first of all I would like to highlight the fact that ALL CREWs ( including locals ) are subject to the same revision , is not matter if you are from the UK or any other country including mexico .

Customs law in Mexico are very strict regarding bringing Undeclared items to Mexico , you can bring whatever you want but you must list the items AND pay for the tax IF applicable.

You can bring your personal belongings that must be used and fit to your size, because unfortunately there are crew members that bring items to resell without paying the corresponding tax

And regarding if authorities are allocating resources for this instead of fighting the drug cartels ( in your opinion ) I would say that they are doing their best in order to apply the Law , believe me , Mexican authorities are doing their best.

Next time better not to fly to the sunny destination of Cancun for you , I bet you didn’t enjoy the beautiful sand nor the margaritas .

you will skip all that “unpleasant “ experiences