PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B777 rejected take off. Confusion on flight deck.
Old 23rd Jun 2018, 13:15
DirectAnywhere

Received 164 Likes on 36 Posts
Couple of things I noticed.

1 Autothrottle wasn’t disconnected in the initial RTO actions. See this a lot in the sim, particularly with low speed RTOs.

2. Captain did their bit of the evac checklist from memory, which resulted in the aeroplane being evacuated with the number 2 engine running for 45 seconds or so after the evacuation was ordered. While Boeing gives some flexibility to Captains to manage checklists by memory if they see fit, this doesn’t seem like the ideal time to implement this policy and could have resulted in a very serious outcome for passengers adjacent to the number two engine.

3. The FO tried to open the outflow valves in accordance with the checklist but appears to have left the switches in AUTO, meaning no manual control. The valves would have been open anyway on the ground so no biggy, but interesting to see how the FO thought he had done the checklist but appears to have missed a step.

Easy to discuss it from here while not sitting in a burning aeroplane, but it appears slowing things down just a little and reading and actioning the checklist carefully in a high workload/ stress environment with a considerable startle factor in play, may have led to a better outcome. No one died and they all walked away but there are definitely learnings to be taken away from this. I know I’ve taken something out of reading it.