PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MEL definition
Thread: MEL definition
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2018, 11:25
PENKO

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jaja
No it is not clear when to apply the MEL or the Abnormal checklist, but it used to be clear (up to approx 15 years ago).

The MEL should be applied up until setting takeoff power if you have failures on startup/taxi, and when airborne you look into the Abnormal checklist. That is the way we used to do it.

Let me give an example why : on taxi out you have an ECAM warning, and this failure is a “NO DISPATCH” according to the MEL. Common sense would be not to continue the flight, but as it is company procedure in many places, it is up to captain to decide if it is OK to continue (after using “good airmanship etc”.

In todays complex aircraft it should not be up to the captain to decide that. The MEL should be used/applied up to setting takeoff power.

Please give examples on in which European companies is the MEL used/applied that way (up to setting takeoff power) ?

If you ask me what is whise, then yes, of course, the MEL is one of the things you consider in your scenario of ECAM during taxi. The MEL is also a wonderful companion with ECAM in flight if time permits, or reading FCOM in bed at home.

If you ask what are the rules, then the rules are very clear, see my quote in an earlier post.
If you disagree with this, then please explain why. I pointed out that EASA also has the provision regarding failures during taxi. This should answer your initial question.

As for your point that we need tailored on ground procedures for dealing with failures, well, that's exactly what you have in your MEL: once dispatched but before TO, complete the QRH/ECAM and consider the implications of the MEL, maintenance facilities etc and then decide to go or not. But you are not bound by the MEL at that stage.

Last edited by PENKO; 23rd Jun 2018 at 11:40.