PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Getting the Public Onside
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2018, 10:18
Martin the Martian

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Pontius Navigator
We had a photo shoot at Waddo once. The lesson we learnt was they wanted a clean aircraft, plenty of space around it so they could get clean shots, no barriers, no people wandering round the back, and of course a good selection.

Clearly that lesson was forgotten. The other lesson is that the photographers should make their needs clear before the event.
But did you ask them?

I went to a couple of the Brize Norton photocalls back in the early 1990s. An excellent selection of aircraft from Tristar to Chipmunk, excellently laid out on the southern taxiway with plenty of space and the sun behind the photographers. And for a much smaller sum of money than the rip off at Marham this week. I did not go, but if I had paid £50 for obstructed views of three aircraft and flypast over the next county I'd have been mighty pi$$ed off as well.

Compare it to the excellently-run regular night shoots at Northolt. £20 for a small selection of well chosen aircraft, including rarities that have included Securite Civile Turbo Trackers and Flygvapen Sabreliners, and a feeling that you're not there on sufferance.