PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus warns about no-deal Brexit
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2018, 21:07
highcirrus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Solution to Brexit - EFTA/EEA

BluSdUp

Can anyone please try to explain to me how this will be solved by 1 April 2019.?
I recently came across the following letter. Perhaps you should also write to your MP using this or a similar format? However, it probably/certainly will have no effect as nowadays, MPs are merely pliable careerist voting fodder, in thrall to the Party machine and with little interest in the views of constituents. As is now becoming apparent, the Brexit process has for some time been hijacked by the Tory "ultras" who are determined on a "crash out", 23.00 hrs, 29 March 2019, presumably with a view to fundamentally altering the nature of UK society and politics, from then onwards.

Dear (name of MP)

I write in despair at the complete mess your government appears to be making of the Brexit negotiations.

I voted Brexit as I did not like the direction of travel to complete political and financial union of the EU - as subsequently confirmed by Juncker’s State of the Union speech.

However, I also acknowledge that 48% voted Remain, and the Brexit vote was not overwhelming. One also has to acknowledge the demographic of the Brexit vote.

I, therefore, fully expected the government to pursue a sensible Brexit, as laid out by Dr Richard North on his blog, on which he has devoted years to a plan called Flexcit – EU Referendum

The government could have opted to say to the EU, “yes we are leaving the political construct, but we will remain in the EEA and join EFTA instead”. Thus remaining in the Single Market, which is crucial for the economy, and the City. EFTA has it’s own court (independent of the ECJ), can make it’s own trade deals, and is free from the majority of EU legislation (73% - the remaining 27% is manufacturing/trading standard legislation passed down to EU from world standards bodies). This would have removed all uncertainty for business, and allowed the UK to push for further reform of trade with the EU from the safe harbour of EFTA.

The government could also have said it would put the controls on EU immigration which have always been available to it, but never used - in addition Articles 112 & 113 of the EEA Agreement allow for additional restriction to free movement.

The EEA/EFTA option would also have solved the Irish border issue.

Instead, we are now in a position where nearly 2 years on from the referendum, nothing has been achieved except massive uncertainty for the economy - I fear we are now at the point of businesses voting with their feet.

It is quite alarming listening to politicians who do not even seem to understand the difference between the Single Market and a Customs Union. And, indeed, Theresa May herself recently told Andrew Marr that you could not leave the EU and stay in the Single Market, which is patently untrue. The EFTA countries are in the Single Market but not in the EU, and they do have a voice in devising EU legislation relevant to their interests.

I never thought the day would come when someone with the name Kinnock would be making more sense on the economy than the Conservatives.

In fact, it is increasingly looking like the Conservatives are leading us off the cliff edge to economic carnage and empty supermarket shelves. If that happens, your party will be unelectable for generations.

Mrs May seems to be held hostage by the ERG, rather than acting in the interests of the country. Mr Rees-Mogg and Boris Johnson may have a veneer of charm, but I have not heard them come up with any reasonable solutions to the Irish border or queues at the Channel ports if we are not in the Single Market. Sanitary and Phytosanitary checks, of all live animals and foodstuffs cannot be done electronically... The KFC debacle showed how the slightest delay in the supply chain leads to panic buying, empty shelves and closed shops.

As I do not believe there is any majority in Parliament to leave the Single Market, I would plead with the Conservative Party to get your act together before it is too late, and you trash the economy, and allow Corbyn in by default.

Kind Regards.