PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots can work for US regionals.
Old 22nd Jun 2018, 16:39
umop apisdn

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
So, from the US Embassy in Canberra, this info re E3 qualifications. Are those E3s coming North, but without a 4 year degree, actually having to show 12 years aviation experience to qualify ? Is that the actual experience people are confronted with lately ?
There has been somewhat of what seems to be a crackdown on this. Some consular workers are really easy to get by and others are not. I was lucky that I actually have a degree, but when I went they said "why are you applying for the E3 visa?"

"i have the relevant qualifications and a job offer from Skywest, would you like to see?"

"Your visa is approved, next!" without actually looking at everything.

I had many friends get in around the same time with no degree and none of them blinked an eye.

**It's worthwhile mentioning, the ATP exam (single exam), must be passed, prior to getting the full FAA ATPL.
Correct. I did not mention this because it's almost like a non event. CTP does not prepare you for this exam. You need to get Sheppard air and study. If you follow their method and get below 90% on the test, which has 120 questions and needs 70% to pass, you get your $80 back. So yeah, they pretty much guarantee a pass. Good advice is to study before CTP, even do it in Aus, then just brush up during CTP. Once you have your CTP certificate you can book in and take the test. The is a place right across from the hotel where you can do it in Salt Lake.

Yeah, it's a joke. No stress of flight planning. Pretty much government enabled cheating due to the freedom of information act. Sheppard Air doesn't teach you the theory, but the answers to every question in the question bank. To come out the other side with a full ICAO ATPL is pretty nice.

What if a bloke had a FAA ATP, couple thousand command in multi crew airliner.
You'll get in no worries, but just go to the bottom of the list and have to deal with less pay than what you/re probably used to. You need 1000 hours 121 time before you can upgrade.