PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - G-VIIO Las Vegas
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2018, 14:25
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Having observed the laborious and time consuming delays by some crews in the simulator finding the right page in the QRH for Evacuation. Then reading going through each item step by step before finally reaching the part where the captain says "EVACUATE", I really get concerned that time is running out and the passengers are still strapped into their seats. With no shortage of real life examples of fire breeching the cabin and associated toxic heat and smoke overcoming those trying to get out, I firmly believe the former Recall or Memory Evacuation checklist was safer overall. We know that deadly mistakes were made in some accidents where the Memory items were inadvertently omitted and that was the rationale for Boeing and other manufacturers to conduct a Read and Do checklist policy. BUT as a captive audience member jammed in my window seat and the smoke rolling towards me while on the flight deck someone flipping the pages of a QRH that tell the crew what to do next, I would prefer they take the risk of a missed Memory item but just get me out of there fast.
I am aware that research has shown the Read and Do Evacuation checklist is the safest option, but I still prefer to have my crew whipping through a Memory checklist and giving passengers a better chance of survival. Illogical maybe, but a gut feeling nevertheless.