PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - G-VIIO Las Vegas
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2018, 14:03
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OK.......since you ask....the below is taken from the current Boeing 777 FCOM, if you disagree with the terminology that follows I suggest you take it up with the likes of tdracer.

”Fuel Control Switch”- (situated just aft and below of the thrust levers)

When placed to “CUTOFF “
  • closes the fuel valves
  • removes ignitor power
  • unlocks the engine fire switch.
”Engine Fire Switch” (situated on centre pedestal aft of Fuel Control Switches)

When pulled:
  • arms both engine fire extinguishers
  • closes the associated engine and spar fuel valves
  • closes the associated engine bleed air valves
  • trips the associated engine generators off
  • shuts off hydraulic fluid to the associated engine–driven hydraulic pump
  • depressurises the associated engine–driven hydraulic pump
  • removes power to the thrust reverser isolation valve.
Rotate to position 1 or 2 – discharges the selected fire extinguisher into the engine.

If I recall the techy stuff correctly the reason for the emphasis in the evacuation checklist on operating the Fuel Control switches before operating the fire switches harks back to the Hatton Cross accident where it was discovered that on some aircraft in some mod states in some circumstances (!!) the spar valves would fail to close if the fire switches were pulled before the fuel control switches were placed to cutoff. I think at Hatton X they ended up with fuel p***** out all over the place until spar valves were manually closed by some brave souls in the emergency services or some brave engineers.

As an aside I note that it seems some think not enough opprobrium is being heaped on the LAS Crew....I haven’t seen anyone here being uncritical of at least some of the crew actions in the LAS case, so I have to ask is there a standard amount of ***** we are required to chuck at crews post accident, or is it a sliding scale dependent on airline?

Last edited by wiggy; 22nd Jun 2018 at 14:42.