PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a professional pilot, and finding a job
Old 5th Oct 2003, 16:14
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, now this thread's been all round the houses and all over the world and then some, to get back to the basic question....

count duckula,

what are the chances of getting a pilots job in the real word, it is a bleak as I am led to believe ? or is it a case of you will be okay in the end.

It is a lot of money to spend and I don't mind borrowing it if I can pay it back at the end.
Chances of getting a job are reasonable if you're prepared to go anywhere, do anything, and take a cut in pay, at least at the start. However, by the time you qualify, that could all have changed, and no-one has a reliable crystal ball.

It probably IS as bleak as you've been led to believe, but determination will usually find a way...though not necessarily a particularly good or profitable way.

If you're borrowing the money, will you be able to pay it back at the end? Maybe, and probably eventually. But I know a fair few instructors trying to pay it back on what they earn, and often not succeeding. And if you lose your medical, as one I know did?

OTOH, you only live once, the two saddest words in the English language are "if only", and you rarely regret what you have tried but often what you haven't.

Your choice.